I was thinking on this 6 letter word this morning .... what really is belief? I could go to the dictionary which says ... #1 what is held to be true #2 acceptance as true or real #3 faith or trust. We are a "wordy society" many of us are literate and have abilities to read words. For those of us who are VERY word friendly sometimes we take for granted the usage of WORDS. We throw them around like common fodder. We abuse and misuse them as if they were nothing at all. We use them on other people like weapons of mass destruction, thinking nothing about their impact or usage.
All said and done I would like to take some time and think on this word "belief" We say we believe in this or that, but do we? Do we really believe in everything we spout off our lips or has saying certain phrases become habitual and we don't think at all, but just open mouth, put our tongue in gear and spew words out. For those who do consider what they say .... maybe it is a good time to rethink about everything again. Self examination is always a good thing. OK back to the word "BELIEF" where does our belief system come from? ..... It is instilled in us from before birth, before we even have a clue what is being said to us. We hear words and phrases that become part of our "word system" We say them because we have them programmed in our brain.
When do we actually look at our "BELIEF" system? ..... I began exploring mine at a very early age. I was raised in a home where the Bible was taught. So my belief system was Christian based. Yet as a youth I questioned a lot of my "instilled beliefs" I saw things that was contradictory to what was being said. Thus I began to question. .....
I have always talked to God! ...... it was a type of belief system but also it was a coping mechanism. I also talked to angels and had imaginary friends. Inside this "Child's World" developed ideas, ideals and concepts that I took on into my youth & adult life. Talking to God was something that stayed consistent. I became inquisitive at a very early age but experessing myself was not in my best interest physically. So thus again I talked to God. I never quetioned the exsistence of God and still do not today. I enjoy and fully embrace this concept of God, a being who made us and watches over us and loves us. But do I live as if I believe this?
Belief and practiced habits often co-exsist but do not necessarily follow each other or demonstrate that they are in agreement. My belief system and my practised habits definitely were in opposite corners as I went from childhood to adult. Many beliefs and ideals were tried to the maximum and then some. One of the things I realized was all those adults who spewed belief systems that I was exposed to were going through the same maturing process i was ..... They were daily living out their belief system and practised habits too. But as a child I did not understand this fact of life. As a child I was judgmental and critical,and to an extent I still battle this conflict I see in the human race. Belief -vs- Instilled Practises & Habits.
So what is belief? .... it is a moment by moment system that can change and will change as we go through time; from moment to moment and day to day. Our belief system will change, that is a fact! Belief is something we choose to stand on as a foundation for all other decisions, ideas, concepts and ideals. As we age in human years our belief system is sandpapered off, gouged and enhanced as we experience life. ....... My belief system has strengthened with time in my belief of God. I have experienced moments and happenings that can only be attribruted to the existence of God and His love for me.
No comments:
Post a Comment