Sunday, February 8, 2015

Mental Clutter 2: Who Am I?

      Who am I? and who or what do I want my defining moment to be? ...... We all have a self image .... some of us are more aware of it then others nevertheless we all have one. Who will I see looking back at me when I look into the mirror of life? ......
       I know who I have been, I started out as a daughter, a first grandchild , and a first granddaughter , and a great granddaughter, a niece, a cousin & a child @ birth, that was very simple .....
      Then came my siblings ...... I became a sister and the eldest child of my parents . From there the list gets a bit complicated.
       School .... I was a student, a classmate, a friend, a target for those that bullied others, a loner. As I aged I became a teenager, a girlfriend, an enemy,  Independent, Artistic,  ....... A Rebel.
      Then my identity became a wife and mother @ 16 years of age. I had my son. I became a parent. I became a daughter-in-law & a sister-in-law, and an aunt.
       At church which has always been part of my life ..... a helper, a teacher, a leader, a parishioner , a member
       My world enlarged, I became an employee, a co-worker, I became a legal driver of a vehicle, a bus driver, a Tractor trailer driver, a cashier, ..... a renter, a bill payer, a decision maker, a Boss / Supervisor / Manager.
       I easily listed 36 hats that I have wore in my life ..... 36 different positions, 36 different types of personalities I was required to function in.
      I frequently hear multiple personality syndrome ..... I guess I classify! 
      I don't want to downplay or poke fun at those who have clinically diagnosed multiple personality issues ...... I also feel that the medical profession tends to hype up this "affliction" also. I am acquainted with some families who have had loved ones who have serious issues and are truly diagnosed with a mental disorder. My prayers, heart, and utmost respect go out to these individuals who live with this as a constant way of life. 

     What I would like to do is address "WHO ARE WE, WHO ARE YOU? WHO IS ME?  and look at the various aspects we face as human beings. Life is a constant ..... from the moment we are a one cell being in our mother's womb to eternity ..... Life happens. For some of us it's a "road trip" on  multiple surfaced planet earth!  For others it is a journey of stops and starts, ups and downs. For others it is an adventure to seek and discover something new around every nook and corner.  Some may describe a roller coaster ride, a merry go-round and the spook house all rolled into one as their life's trip. For the majority of us we don't think too much about it. We just keep going ..... somewhere.
     
     My philosophy in life has migrated as I have become older .... from "Put off to tomorrow anything you can get away with and have fun while your doing it" ..... to  "Just Do It", "Just Get it Done", and " Deal with it". I don't stress over my changes ..... from care free youth to a certified covered up gray hair with blonde and wrinkle barer. I love life ...... Has the trip or journey been without bumps, lumps and mountains? Absolutely not!

     Can I define who I am? ..... on this end of life, I am a wife, mother, grandmother, I am a Manager of an apartment complex. But I would love to say .... Philippians 1:21 For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.  Sadly as a human on planet earth and being just plain honest ..... my life doesn't always exemplify Christ. ..... There is this human I wrestle with daily in my head & in my art on a regular basis. Romans 6: 1 What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound?
v2 God forbid! How shall we, who are dead to sin, live any longer therein?

By no means am I justifying the sin in my life .... but to expose it and place it under the blood of Jesus Christ, this is called repentance.
Romans 6:3 Know ye not that as many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into His death?
v4 Therefore we are buried with Him by baptism into death, that just as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

I was baptized at the age of 12. It took until I was in my 30's to start understanding the concept of what this act meant, I am now in my 60's and have become so "numb & calloused"to some things in life that I feel often that I have entirely quit feeling at all. Thus my journey to re-find me and who I am.
Romans 6:5 For if we have been planted together in the likeness of His death, so we shall also be in the likeness of His resurrection,  v6 knowing this: that our old man is crucified with Him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin. v7 For he that is dead is freed from sin. v8 Now if we be dead with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with Him,

The concept that there is a God that has loved me and cared for me and has stilled loved me despite who I am, and what I am, and that He made a way for me to live with Him for eternity ..... by allowing Jesus Christ His only begotten Son to suffer and die on the cross .... so He could pave the way through hell, take back the keys of death and conquer Satan so that I can live is almost mind boggling to me. Luke 15:10 Likewise I say unto you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner that repents.”
    The concept of sin is: Romans 7:20 And so, if I don’t do what I know is right, I am no longer the one doing these evil things. The sin that lives in me is what does them.   NO ..... This is not a concept to run around and say the devil made me do it ..... It is a warning to keep a steady vigilence over our lives because as long as planet earth exists and life here as we know it exists until Jesus returns, sin will be present.
Acts 1:9 After saying this, he was taken up into a cloud while they were watching, and they could no longer see him. 10 As they strained to see him rising into heaven, two white-robed men suddenly stood among them. 11 “Men of Galilee,” they said, “why are you standing here staring into heaven? Jesus has been taken from you into heaven, but someday he will return from heaven in the same way you saw him go!
   




No comments:

Post a Comment